Zero – fare public rail transport services in Slovakia
1. Who is entitled for zero-fare transport services?
- Students and seniors under 62 years of age who are citizens or permanent residents of EU member states:
- Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Croatia, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Netherlands, Italy, Ireland, Lithuania, Latvia, Luxemburg, Malta, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom
- Children under 15 years of age and seniors over 62 years of age without limitation by EU citizenship or residence
2.Terms and Conditions
- Passengers entitled for zero-fare transport services are required to register at ZSSK cash desks
- Upon registration, they will obtain their rail customer cards that will allow them to get zero-fare tickets for travelling by trains
- Zero-fare tickets are passenger-specific and train-specific (for long distance trains only), i.e. the tickets are non-transferable and bound to a specific train
- Zero-fare tickets are bound to long-distance trains of R, RR, Ex, EN, EC, SC category. The zero-fare transport is not available on IC trains.
3. What documents do we need in order to register zero-fare passengers and issue rail customer cards for them?
- Children under 15 years of age
- Children under 6 years of age do not need any customer card or train ticket to travel for free
- Children aged 6-15 years are required to submit their passport (+ profile picture)
- For full-time students under 26 years of age who are enrolled in study programs equivalent to study programs available at schools and universities in Slovakia
- Students are required to submit confirmation of enrolment for the current academic year together with an official translation to Slovak language ( for documents in Czech language translations are not necessary) and an ID card or passport (+ profile picture)
- Retired persons receiving social security income under 62 years of age (excluding military service pensioners)
- Retired persons are required to submit confirmation of social security income not older than 30 days together with an official translation to Slovak language and an ID card or passport (+ profile picture)
- Seniors over 62 years of age
- Seniors are required to submit their ID card or passport (+ profile picture)
Please provide a picture that is up-to-date, unused and professional (sharp and bright enough). A person has to be depicted from the front, without any headwear or background. The required picture size: 2x3 cm.
Please note, that it is not possible to use the zero-fare tickets on the route segment between the last regular station on the Slovak territory and the state border. Entitled passengers are to use the zero-fare tickets only between the stations within the territory of Slovakia. The exception are children under 6 years of age. They travel for free also in border areas.Last modified: 24.01.2017
Regulation (EC) No 1371/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 October 2007 on Rail Passengers' Rights and Obligations (hereinafter Regulation) entered into force on December 2009.
Železničná spoločnosť Slovensko, a.s. (ZSSK) is liable for your transportation and for transportation of your luggage and has to respect your rights guaranteed by the Regulation.